
Praise God from whom all blessings flow
Praise Him all creatures here below
Praise Him above ye heavenly host
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost
Every morning, afternoon and evening the past few weeks, a couple of small birds have been sitting on the rail of my deck just singing their hearts out. They come and go every so often, but I can always count on them being there. As I write this, they just came back. Their voices coming together in praise.
Yesterday at church was a milestone for me, but no one knew it. It is the first time I have stood before a congregation in 2 1/2 years and read scripture. And it was one that really speaks to my heart. With all the turmoil in the political world, the religious world, the flooding, the oil spill, the attempted car bombing, the war, the new immigration law in Arizona, God tells Peter that the gospel is not just for the Jews, but for everyone. Everyone is welcome at the table of grace by our Lord Jesus Christ.
The homosexuality issue in the Lutheran church has caused many of our churches to be divided. People who used to sit by one another, now do not talk to one another. They cannot reconcile to each other because "they are right" and the other person "is wrong". They have stopped welcoming everyone at the table.
In the political world, they seem to be intent on "being right" than working together to get things done. Only the "right kind" of people are welcome at the table.
In Arizona, if you look hispanic, now you have to worry every day about being stopped by the police, and I was mad about an unjust parking ticket this past week.
If you appear to be from Mexico, you and anyone who associates with you are not welcome.
In Acts, Peter could not believe the message that he was hearing from God. He was supposed to welcome the Gentiles into the early church. How could that be? How could God even think that? Yet, Peter obeyed and because Peter obeyed, I , a Gentile, am a member of the family of God today. I get to experience the love of God. I was given grace by God through Peter. Grace and Peace and Mercy are what we are to bring to this world. Not division and not exclusion.
Not all the birds in my neighborhood get along, yet I hear them everyday singing together in praise. They never stop and so as the birds of the air, neither should we. I wonder about that scripture where God says not to worry because he takes care of the birds..maybe it is because despite their hardships, they continue to sing.
Praise God every day, through floods, through fires, through divisions. through oil spills, wars, terrorism, earthquakes, famine, droughts, injustice, and whatever your hardship in your life is right now.
God's Welcoming Love will carry you through.