Storm TossedAfter a week in Slidell, Louisiana, I am still trying to process the devastation in the lives of so many people caused by Hurricane Katrina. This picture is of a church still standing amidst the rubble and destruction around it. Jesus is calming the seas down there as many, many people of faith have traveled to the areas affected to offer hope to the lost.
Sue Monk Kidd talks about intrusive events in our lives in her book When the heart waits. She says stuff like this happens, yet she does not hold to the idea that God causes suffering and hardship. Instead she says that these things come along and God uses them.
Stuff includes losing a beloved spouse, father, mother, friend. Stuff happens like a major illness, a fire, or losing your house and your job in the same day from a hurricane.
God will use devastation to transform us. My divorce was a devastation to me many years ago. It ended up being the beginning of my transformation to a disciple of Jesus.
Yes, Sue Monk Kidd, stuff does happen and when it does, I take your advice as well when you say, "You might as well pat the dog and regroup". I have been out here in the desert regrouping from the storm tossed events in my life this year. Thanks to my friend Laurie tonight for helping me to name what has been happening and for saying that I am in a good place right now.
And thanks to Sister Catherine for saying that the desert is not a bad place. You know what, I kind of like it here.