a place of faith, hope and peace.

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Safe Places

Where are the safe places in our lives? Those places that we can be ourselves and not be analyzed or judged. Those places of peace and contentment. I find them in friends that are there for you no matter what. No matter if you are worried, or scared, or sick, or whatever is going on in your life. These types of friends remind me of God. God is always there. He does not run away when there is trouble. He is always there. He will not leave or forsake you.

I have had to forgive those who left, who looked the other way, who were uncomfortable, and who didn't call. I have been hanging with those who knew what was going on and still knew me and trusted that God would bring me through it. Those who knew that I was not lost, just needed to heal. Those who have helped me heal. Thank you God for my nursing friends who have provided me with a safe place. Who trusted me, and wanted me, and yet knew all that had happened. They are true healers, and true ministers to the sick, the poor, the needy, and those who live in the margins. Thanks be to God for the safety net that they provided.
I was tired, and they gave me rest. I was hungry, and they fed me. I was hurt and they healed up my wounds. They were the Christ to me.

Others have been sent to be holy listeners, to hear my pain, to hear my despair. Others have been there to provide hope and light. All have been safe sancturaries at the time when I needed them. I hope that I am able to be a piece of that to someone else.

Safe places are important to everyone. Be a safe place for someone in your life.