
I spent this week retreating at a nearby monastery and receiving spiritual direction from Sister Catherine who is a wonderful holy woman of God. I came away from that time with a renewal of my heart and a lightness to my steps. "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path" comes to mind as I think back of my time spent in prayer, walking in the woods with my Lord, and feasting on the word of God. Lectio Divina prayers with 4 other faithful followers of Jesus have caused me to re-look at the pace of my life.
My life seems to fly by these days with school, work and church "stuff". Significant moments come and go and I miss what God wants me to see and hear and taste. God is calling me to slow down...will I listen? The world expects a different answer. Will I go with the world or will I go with God?
Sister Catherine had me mediate on Matthew 6:6 when Jesus talks about going into your room, closing the door and praying. She helped me see that the room is the inner room of my heart and that God does indeed reside there and when I pray in silence in centering prayer, He is always there with me. Centering prayer will pull me into a deeper relationship with God.
Thank you Lord for teachers like Sister Catherine who live in your grace and help those of us who are in need of a deeper relationship with you. Amen.