a place of faith, hope and peace.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006


Fences

Oh, give me land, lots of land under starry skies above, Don't fence me in.
Let me ride through the wide open country that I love, Don't fence me in.
Let me be by myself in the evenin' breeze,
And listen to the murmur of the cottonwood trees, Send me off forever but I ask you please,
Don't fence me in.

What is it about the fences that we build in our lives? The barriers that we use to defend ourselves from pain, from abuse, from being hurt. I used to sing "Don't fence me in" all the time when I was younger. That song just struck a chord with me. For the fences in our lives do protect us, but they also keep out those whom God has placed in our lives to help us. My fences have slowly been coming down due to the movement of the Holy Spirit. For it is through God, that we can let go of our past and embrace our future. A future that is full of hope and joy if we will just trust in the Lord of our lives.

Dear God,
Help me to bring down the fences in my life that have protected me in the past, and learn to trust in you to keep me safe. In Jesus name, Amen.