All I want for Easter
At Christmas time, we all seem to get the notion that it is about giving and getting and people asking you what do you want for Christmas? You know no one has ever asked me what I wanted for Easter. In my childhood years, I got an Easter basket with some chocolate bunnies or some of those awful yellow peeps. How much sugar is in those things? And maybe a toy here and there, and a new dress or bonnet. Yes, I am from the time that kids still wore Easter bonnets to church on Sunday. But in all the years that I remember Easter, no one has asked me the question "what do you want for Easter?". Why is that? Do you think that maybe Easter is still actually a holy day. A day to remember who Jesus is and what he did on the cross for us.
Jesus when accused of all that he was accused of---did not defend himself, or call anyone names, or blame someone else...just what did Jesus do? He was silent. He said nothing. He stood there and took it. He took the lashes, all 40 of them. He took the crown of thorns in his head while the blood dripped down his face. He took the nails in his side, and he hung on the cross for hours until his Father finally let him die. At the end, Jesus asked his Father for forgiveness for us for doing all of that to him. Jesus showed mercy and love to all of us by doing that.
If Jesus can do that for us, why can't we do that for each other?
All I want for Easter is that. Love and mercy and forgiveness for myself and for my family.
I miss that very much. I only have one family. I hope this Easter that God brings it back.