He will feed his flock like a shepherd; he will gather the lambs in his arms, and carry them in his bosom, and gently lead the mother sheep. Isaiah 40:11
I was taking care of a little premie boy today who began to just wail when his mother had to leave for awhile. I tried to soothe him by stroking his head and he would drift off to sleep for a few minutes, but then wake up and begin to cry. I finally took him from his isolette and snuggled him close to me so he could hear my heart and he slept peacefully right there until his mother returned.
God gathers us in close when we have days where we need to wail and cry. He places his heart right next to ours, and we feel his peace. He feeds us love and comfort during times of distress and leads us gently to calming places. We sleep peacefully snuggled in close to the One who will never leave, but is always there. Grace and peace be to all of us who need to be held by God's heart.