Just finished watching a wonderful funny movie called Planet 51. I am such a Sci-Fi junkie at times. This one was a wonderful animated tale of a planet of aliens in the 1950's era being visited by a astronaut. It was cute and simple and just what I needed to bring a smile to my face today. Sometimes, it is the little things that bring us joy. Sweet corn, a baby's first cry, the cicadas singing in unison on a cool summer evening are just a few of the other things I can think of as I write this. The trees are very still tonight as I look out my window and the ceiling fan above is rotating on slow speed.
I spent the weekend on a silence retreat. It was quiet and calming to my soul.
Parker Palmer writes "the soul is like a wild animal--tough, resilent, resourceful, savvy, self-sufficent. It knows how to survive in hard places. But it is also shy. Just like a wild animal, it seeks safety in the dense underbrush. If we want to see a wild animal, we know that the last thing we should do is go crashing through the woods yelling for it to come out. But if we walk quietly into the woods, sit patiently by the base of the tree, and fade into our surroundings, the wild animal we seek might put in an appearance."
My soul came out this weekend. The hardened places in my heart softened and I was able to hear and see the gentleness of God. Surrounded by nature, good friends, and silence interrupted by holy laughter now and then, my soul felt safe enough to emerge. I saw a deer on the path leading to the forest and as I looked at her, she became frightened and went crashing back into the trees. She did not feel safe in the presence of humans. I know how she feels. I have not felt safe at times. Too many times have intentions whether good or bad by others caused me to hide.
The soul is the tenderest part of us. It is easily crushed and bruised like the petals of a delicate flower. It suffers inside and our outside parts cover it up. But it does not have to be that way. God knows the darkest part of our souls. God brings and provides sacred space for us so we can soften and bring light to those dark places. It is the simple things in life that touch our soul and bring it out in safety. Daily prayer, solitude, scripture, worship are ways for us to stay on the slow speed of life and in the peace and gentleness of God's presence.
My prayer is for Shalom for all of us...wholeness and peace. May the tender parts of us feel safe in the loving touch of God.